The review of this maker Delonghi ECAM 23,460 we dedicate to those who love cappuccinos. Read carefully…
First of all, let’s get in the right frame of mind:
Order a cappuccino in any cafe. The barista takes that familiar wide, rounded cup from the shelf and sets it out on the side – already you can feel its warming heat in your hands. She slots the coffee holder up into position in the mighty chrome machine that makes magic and presses one of the myriad buttons. As the comforting sound of the machine whirrs into life, she pours milk with a flourish into a jug and turns what you buy in the supermarket in bottles into soft, fluffy, flawless froth. In it goes into the mug, froth first, hot milk second, coffee third. A gentle brown circle appears, enclosing the froth and a dash of cinnamon and chocolate finds its way onto the top. A tiny biscuit and an even tinier spoon join the mug on the saucer and the barista meets your eye – complete.
If you feel you identified with some fragment of the above, do not hesitate to admit it: You’re one of the staunchest cappuccino addicts that make up the audience of this Delonghi ECAM 23.460.
And I mean audience – because it basically does everything for you, watch, admire, drink. Would you like to enjoy these works of art at any time and in your own home? Well then this coffee machine is made for you.
We are talking about a coffee machine specifically geared towards preparing cappuccinos, lattes and other mixed drinks that include milk among their essential elements.
To do this, the Delonghi ECAM 23.460 coffee maker includes an additional reservoir for storing fresh milk, a feature not found in other models of the same brand.
The brewer uses this compartment to catch milk directly and prepare milk mixed drinks without the user needing to intervene at all. Press a button and within seconds you have a freshly brewed cappuccino, ready to enjoy.
With any other automatic coffee machine you can get the same result, but you must manually froth the milk, pour it and then pour the coffee.
If you’re going to invest in a great coffee maker, why invest in one that only does half the work?
When analysing the Delonghi ECAM 23.460 is inevitable to refer to a previous model: Delonghi ECAM 23.210 . It is a coffee machine with virtually the same features but without the tank system or specific milk holder to make cappuccinos.
Later in this review we tell you what the main differences between the two models are: 23.210 (without milk container) and 23,460 (with milk container).
Interestingly, the evolution of the Delonghi ECAM 23.460 is remarkable if you look at the previous models within Delonghi ECAM line.
The additional facility for milk is not limited to a simple compartment that stores milk, but includes a number of controls to operate it for the smooth, automatic process of cappuccinos, and also has its own cleaning system activated once you’re finished.
The control panel, which occupies the entire central part of the front of the brewer, has also been changed for the better.
We can divide it into two distinct areas: a lower area where the control buttons are and the central control (identical to the model area are located ECAM 23.210 ), and an upper area which is markedly different as it houses a spectacular digital display.
This digital display is only featured in the ECAM 23.460, and is not found in the control panel of the ECAM 23.210 . Text and progress bars are available in several languages compared to the army of lights in the somewhat anarchic panel in the previous coffee machine model.
Functional and informative, the improvement is, in our view, clear. Below we offer a close-up photograph of both the control panel and milk compartment.
The general appearance of the Delonghi ECAM 23.460 is very compact. The additional milk tank does not exceed the dimensions of the model, neither in width or depth, and the outer casing is made entirely of hardened ABS plastic.
The water tank, a good size (1.8 litre), is located in the front, making it easily accessible. This is a rare detail in any coffee machine, but greatly facilitates handling because we can access it even if the appliance is boxed in a corner of our kitchen. Normally the water tanks are removed from behind or above, so that you are sometimes forced to move or tilt the appliance slightly to remove them. Considering the weight of the machine (about 9 kg), this is a big benefit.
Delonghi ECAM 23.460: Palette
The model Delonghi 23,460 is available in two colors: black and silver. Throughout this report you can see pictures of both. Lest you have any doubt, then we offer direct discount links to purchase each of them:
Delonghi ECAM 23.460: main features
- The control panel includes a digital display of two lines where we can read the texts and functions for each action that is taking place in the coffee maker. Available in multiple languages.
- Additional milk tank for cappuccino system.
- The coffee has a patented system used to prepare cappuccinos, lattes, macchiatos and coffee with normal milk in an automatic way, without user intervention.
- You can customise and store your favourite coffee setup, altering various parameters: intensity, size, aroma and temperature.
- Cup warmer located on top of the coffee – win.
- Cup illumination.
- Integrated automatic cleaning function.
- We can use this coffee with coffee beans or ground coffee. There a dispenser for each type of product.
- Function of pre-infused beads to maximise aroma nuances.
- You can prepare one or two cups of coffee simultaneously.
- The brewer unit or coffee section can be removed from the main body of the coffee maker to clean easily.
- The grinder has conical teeth and lets you select from 13 levels of grinding thickness.
- You can adjust not only the amount of water you use, but also the amount of coffee dispensed.
- Electronic temperature control.
- The coffee dispenser has a height adjustable nozzle. It varies between 86mm at its lowest and 142mm at its highest point point.
- You can program in advance on the coffee, and the pause state (standby), with an advance of between 15 minutes and 3 hours.
- It provides indicators that warn you of when you need to fill the water tank or container of coffee beans.
- The water tank is 1.8 liters. It is removable and has integrated water filter.
- The fuel tank capacity for coffee beans is approximately 250 grams, equivalent to 14 cups (or 72 hours after its first use). When you pass this time it is recommended to refill, because in that situation the raw material begins to lose some of its properties.
- Descaling programs and automatic rinse options.
- You can set the water hardness.
- The drip tray (which includes the grounds and spilt liquid after preparation) is removable and includes a practical indicator that helps us to know which level of the liquid inside is.
- Own power supply: can use the coffee maker with zero consumption.
- Signs and warning sounds.
- Power: 1450 watts.
- Its dimensions are 43 x 24 x 34 centimeters.
- It weighs about 9 kg.
Differences between 23,460 and ECAM ECAM 23.210
The comparisons are inevitable but there are some details that distinguish both coffeemakers.
- First, the touch panel is different. The push buttons are kept, but the galaxy of lights that we were confused by in the model ECAM 23.210 have been replaced in this model with a more efficient digital display.
- As already mentioned, this model has a tank for milk and includes an automatic system for preparing cappuccinos. None of this is found in the ECAM 23.210 .
- Not surprisingly, the third difference between the two is a difference in price. The Delonghi ECAM 23.460 is more expensive.
Advantages of Delonghi ECAM 23.460
- In our view, the main competitive advantage of this coffee maker is the milk container and the system to prepare cappuccinos and other mixed coffees automatically, without user intervention.
- The milk container has a self -cleaning system.
- The water tank is removed from the front. Brilliant!
- The digital display is really practical: the texts are available in several languages, is displayed perfectly from any angle, even in low light … a success and a marked improvement over previous models.
- The 13 levels of thickness in the grinder can choose far exceed usual integrated automatic coffee grinders.
Disadvantages of Delonghi ECAM 23.460
- Its price is significantly higher than the model ECAM 23.210 , which offers the same features but without the milk container. If you’re not going to make much of this feature, you may be better of with the 23.210.
- You must fill the milk container with only the amount of milk you will use for the foam. This is sometimes difficult to calculate, but you’ll quickly get used to it. Either that, or return milk not used to the carton.
Why Buy the Delonghi ECAM 23,460?
As we said at the beginning of this review, the Delonghi ECAM 23.460 is oriented mainly towards the automatic preparation of coffee drinks that need milk: cappuccinos, lattes, macchiatos, conventional milk coffee and so on.
If you’re looking for a coffee machine of the highest quality and also have an overbearing desire for cappucino, the Delonghi ECAM 23,460 should be your choice without any doubt. If you will not take advantage of the automated systems of preparation of cappuccinos and its derivatives, you might want to look at a model like the ECAM 23.210, which offers the same functions but has no additional storage for milk or automatic systems for cappuccinos.
A similar option (automatic espresso coffee maker and high-end with a reservoir for milk) maybe the Saeco Intelia Evo with cappuccino system , for the HD8753 / 95 model of the Italian firm.